The updated catalogue for the Herefords Australia Super Sires Program has been released and is now available to view online.
Breeders of candidate bulls who met the initial selection criteria were notified at the beginning of December and given the opportunity to nominate one of their eligible bulls for the program.
Six sires who met the initial selection criteria have been nominated for the program: Ravensdale Spark M037, Glentrevor Trust N909, Wirruna Pilot P054, Elite M202 P101, Tarcombe McLaren Q203 and Injemira Redford J006 Q287.
These six sires have now been catalogued along with the original Super Sire candidate, Wirruna Matty M288.
Once a nominated bull is accepted into the Super Sires program, he will remain classed as a Super Sire regardless of future changes in his EBVs or indexes.
The selection list for phase two of the Super Sire Program will be generated twice a year at the beginning of December and the beginning of June.
Selection criteria is as follows:
- Animal is Active
- Animal is Male
- Registration Status: HBR
- Age range – Four (4) consecutive Calving Years: (eg Round 1>= 2016 & <= 2019) with rollover in November each year
- Sire Verification (SV)
- LD (low density) genotype analysed
- Recessive Condition status – HY Status: HYF or HYFU, DL Status: DLF or DLFU, IE Status: IEF or IEFU, MSUD Status: MSUDF or MSUDFU
- Observed post-birth weight performance: 200day and/or 400day and/or 600day (min. 2 traits)
- Observed Scrotal Measurement
- Observed Ultrasound Scan data (Fats, EMA, IMF%)
- TOP 25% Calving Ease DIR (%), Calving Ease DIR (%) Acc. > 35,
- TOP 25% 400 Day Wt (kg), 400 Day Wt (kg) Acc. > 60,
- => Breed AVG. Scrotal Size (cm), Scrotal Size (cm) Acc. > 60,
- TOP 25% Eye Muscle Area (sq cm), Eye Muscle Area (sq cm) Acc. > 40,
- TOP 5% IMF (%), IMF (%) Accuracy > 45,
- TOP 5% $Index
The graphs below illustrate the performance ability across the EBV and $Index spectrum of the Super Sires candidates verses the breed average of calves born 2016 to 2019.